Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mystery Meat

Today's post was going to be Teriyaki Beef. Instead, it's another reminder to label anything that is not in its original packaging.

I defrosted a lovely steak that had been lurking at the bottom of the chest freezer for some time. No freezer burn, good marbling, thick, and a proper color. I marinated it in teriyaki sauce (store-bought because I was lazy) for several hours. Baked it at 300º for almost 45 minutes, to get a gentle, slow-roasted flavor. When I cut into it, the meat was soft, brown around the edges, and medium-rare inside. Then I tasted it, and realized it was LAMB.

Never, ever, make teriyaki lamb. It does not taste good. If I had been the one who froze the over-sized lamb chop in the first place, I would have labeled and dated it, and we could have avoided this disaster.

There's one more UFO (Unidentified Frozen Object) "steak" in the freezer. I'm going to season it in a neutral way before baking, something that will go with either beef or lamb. I do love the result of the 300º/45 min bake on a 1-1/2" thick piece of red meat.

1 comment:

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.