Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meatloaf

I really need to change chapter headings. For the record, "terrine of sirloin with vegetables" is not a healthy recipe. At least not the way I'm making it today. We have a lot of breadcrumbs taking up space, so I'm looking for ways to go through them.

Usually, I make meatloaf in the food processor. Whole peas don't do so well when you do that, so the instructions are by hand.

This is the basic, comfort-food version. Nothing fancy or creative. One loaf of ground beef, coming right up.

1-1/4 lb lean ground beef (10%-15% fat)
1/2 onion, minced
*1/2 C breadcrumbs
*1/2 C carrots, diced
*1/2 C peas
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp oregano

1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a bowl, combine onion, breadcrumbs, carrots, peas, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix in egg and tomato paste.

2. With hands or a pastry cutter, knead in ground beef until mixture is evenly combined. Spread in a bread loaf pan.

3. Bake until interior reaches 160º as measured with a food thermometer. Generally, I start checking every ten minutes around the 40-minute mark. I also pour off the fat whenever I check the temperature. Yes, the loaf comes out a little drier than it would if the fat was allowed to congeal, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

4. When loaf is done, let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes, to let the internal temperature come up to 165º and to make it easier to slice. Serve with gravy, pasta sauce, or ketchup.

serves 4-5

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.