Monday, March 28, 2011

Gingered Bok Choy

The other form of cabbage I will eat. I prefer Baby bok choy for its tenderness. The stem cooks in the same amount of time as the leaves, and you don't have to cut it into pieces for cooking because it is smaller and more tender. And two usually make a proper serving.

The first time I made this was for Passover. The intent was for there to be plenty of leftovers, enough to last me several days. Who likes bok choy? It was the first item to disappear.

This recipe is so simple, I questioned posting it. There's no sauce, and I don't even add salt. Just the natural taste of the veggie, subtly enhanced by a single spice.

one 1" piece of fresh ginger root
8 small baby bok choy
water

1. Slice the ginger very thin, at least 4 pieces. Place in a large saucepan, then add 1" of water. Bring to a simmer.

2. Wash bok choy thoroughly, slice in half lengthwise, then add to the simmering water. The water does not need to cover the bok choy. Cover, and allow to steam until veggie has wilted and becomes soft, about 5 minutes.

3. Drain, discard ginger (or reserve for garnish), and serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.