Saturday, September 16, 2023

Vegetable Fritters

I've been freezer prepping a bunch of things ahead of a visit by my brother and his family next week.  We'll probably eat out a lot, but it would be nice to have meals ready to microwave or reheat in the oven.  And then, I don't have to cook for a bit after they leave.  Much of it is simply making more of whatever I was cooking anyway and packaging the rest for the freezer.  That was the case for this recipe.

Yes, I bought zucchini.  Probably for the first time in my life.  And they were very pretty vegetables.  The only other green vegetable I could think to shred was cabbage, and the eggplant was already going to be massive.  I could have done kohlrabi.  That would have required a lot more preparation.  The problem was that every recipe I found started with zucchini.

The recipe comments also talk about binder issues and the fritters becoming soggy.  I was using quinoa, which is gluten free, as a lower-carb option to breadcrumbs.  I contemplated what to add as additional binder, like matzoh meal or potato starch.  Then I hit on potato flakes, as they would absorb any and all excess moisture as the mixture sat before frying.  You can't see or taste them, and they don't change the texture.  It's like an invisible ingredient preventing liquid at the bottom of the bowl.

I used dried French tarragon as my herb because, despite my lifetime supply, I also planted Mexican tarragon that is doing very well.  There is nothing wrong with using dried parsley.

1/2 C dry quinoa, any color
2 medium zucchini
1 large eggplant
1/2 lb carrots
1/2 yellow onion
kosher salt as needed
4 eggs
1/2 tsp pepper
*1 tsp paprika
*1 Tb dried tarragon or herb of choice
*1/2 C dried potato flakes
olive oil for frying

1.  Prepare quinoa according to package directions, which will likely include rinsing.  Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool.  This can overlap with Step 2.

2.  You can do this by hand with a box grater, but I highly recommend getting out the food processor.  Trim off eggplant cap, chop in pieces, and run through the grater plate.  You can peel it first if you want, but I don't peel anything if I can avoid it.  Transfer shreds to the largest sieve you own and place it over the sink.  Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and toss lightly.  Leave it there and do the same thing to the zucchini.  You may need another sieve.

3.  Ok, you're going to have to peel the carrots and onion.  Root vegetables are where I tend to make an exception once in a while.  Run those through the grater, too, but they don't have to go into the salted mix. Instead, put them in the biggest bowl you own.

4.  By now, the eggplant and zucchini should have given off their water.  Rinse to remove excess salt, then squeeze as much water out of them as possible.  It's going to be like the kneading step of sauerkraut for a minute.  Add those shreds and the quinoa to the bowl and mix to distribute.  Stir in the potato flakes.

5.  In a small bowl, beat together eggs and spices.  Surprisingly, add half a teaspoon of salt to the mix.  If you rinsed the shreds properly, the mix is going to need it.  Stir into big bowl and make sure it is evenly distributed.

6.  Heat a large skillet or griddle with a thin layer of oil over medium-high heat.  Be careful not to overheat, or olive oil breaks.  Drop shred mixture in 1/3 C portions and cook like a pancake, about 4 minutes on the first side and slightly less on the second.  Remember, these are still gluten-free, so flip gently.  Re-oil and continue to cook in batches.  Keep finished fritters warm until ready to serve, preferably on a rack set over a baking sheet in a low oven.

7.  Serve hot and crisp.  For sauces, I did a different thing every night.  Bleu cheese dressing, lemon juice and salt, tzaziki sauce, and tahini.  Ranch would probably work, as would Italian dressing.

Makes about 3 dozen, or 8-10 main course servings

Difficulty rating  :-0

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.