Sunday, September 10, 2023

Mexican-Style Wedge Salad

 

This was going to be black bean burgers, but I didn't have time to go to that much trouble.  It was much easier to chop up a couple of veggies and pour bleu cheese on them.  Also cooler.

A wedge salad is really all about what you put on it.  The traditional tomato and bacon is fine.  I'm calling this Mexican because it's taco fillings.  You could use a different dressing, like avocado ranch or Caesar.  I'm sure I could create other ethnic versions to fit my mood.  The point is, a salad that requires a knife.

1 head iceberg lettuce
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 C grape or cherry tomatoes
1/2 C diced cucumber
*1 C black olives
*1 green onion, chopped
1 avocado, cut in chunks
*1 C cilantro leaves
bleu cheese dressing to taste

1.  Cut iceberg into 6 wedges, maintaining enough core to hold the wedges together.  You can do 8 and it will still hold.  I'm basing this on a 6-serving recipe.  Plate each wedge.

2.  Slice the tomatoes in half to prevent squirting.  I did this with whole olives, but you can use sliced.  Once all the veggies are prepped, move on to the next step.

3.  Sprinkle each plate with the beans, tomato halves, cucumber, olives, onion, and avocado.  Top with a generous drizzle of dressing and cilantro.  Serve chilled.

Serves 6 or 8

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.