Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms

I'm definitely breaking out of my comfort zone.  First zucchini, then mushrooms.  But, well, the basil keeps turning out a ton of leaves.  I'm drying some and making pesto with the rest.  Those are the two ways I know how to preserve it.

You can choose other vegetables for the filling.  I happen to have a ton of artichokes in the freezer, but most recipes suggest spinach, kale, or sausage for non-vegetarian.

Also in the substitution category, I made these keto.  I put crushed almonds on top instead of panko.  The recipe will reflect the option.  That's also how these landed in the Passover category.  Or, you could use matzoh meal.

Unlike the veggie fritters, I made a reasonable amount of these.  It wasn't for a party, so I got a standard 8oz whole mushroom pack.  For a group, I would get the "stuffer" mushrooms, which are packaged to be a consistent size and larger than these.  I only chose the white mushrooms because all the packs of baby bellas were a bit old and scary.

8 oz whole fresh mushrooms, white button or baby bella
*1 clove garlic, minced
*2 frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and minced
1 Tb olive oil
*1/4 C pesto
*1 Tb parmesan cheese
*1 Tb panko bread crumbs, matzoh meal, or crushed nuts

1.  Clean mushrooms by brushing off dirt with a damp paper towel or mushroom brush.  (They're a thing.  I have one.)  Rub a few drops of oil into an 8x8 baking dish to make removal easier.  Preheat oven to 350º.

2.  Pull out and reserve mushroom stems, leaving a cavity for the stuffing.  Cut off any tough parts of the stems and mince the rest.

3.  Heat 1 Tb oil in a small skillet.  Add mushrooms and allow to cook down over medium heat.  Once most of the water is gone, add garlic and artichokes.  Cook until heated through and the moisture has evaporated.  Remove from heat, then stir in pesto.

4.  Fill open cavities of mushrooms with the minced mixture and place in baking dish.  Sprinkle with cheese, then crumbs.  If this is a do-ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.  Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.  Serve hot.

Makes about 1 dozen

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.