Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Product Review: Birch Benders Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

I'm not big on pancake mixes, but this one caught my eye for being low-ish carb.  No added sugar, grain free, and paleo.  I'm not paleo or GF.  Thought I'd give it a try.

The instructions are very simple.  One part mix to one part water.  Let sit while you heat up a lightly oiled griddle, then cook.

They are exceptionally easy to make.  They taste like pumpkin spice.  The only issue I had with them was the slightly gummy texture.  I definitely cooked them long enough, but cassava is going to do that.

Round two, I subbed in a tablespoon of flour for part of the mix and added a pinch of baking powder.  They were still slightly gummy.  They rose better and I was more pleased with the result overall.

If you're GF and/or Paleo, I definitely recommend these.  If you're unaccustomed to this sort of food, it's going to take some getting used to.  I'm enough of a pumpkin spice addict that I'll probably get it again.  There are waffle instructions I haven't tried yet which look promising.  Same basic recipe as pancakes, but with a bit of oil.  I do like the idea of making a single waffle instead of weeks' worth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.