Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Meal Prepping Chicken

I'm not a big fan of boneless/skinless chicken.  The skin, aka fat, is where the flavor is.  It keeps the meat moist and juicy.  I generally take the skin off after baking, unless I'm snacky and eat it.  But the B/S was on sale for $2.99/lb, which is half what it usually costs these days, so I bought a four-pound pack.

I got out the Food Saver for a couple of the pieces and to break down a 2 pound chub of 85% lean ground beef that was also at a good sale price.  The rest went into the oven so I could have pre-cooked chicken slices to take to work.

I always assume there's enough salt pumped into the meat and only add salt to chicken when I'm crisping the skin.  No skin, no salt.  I seasoned these with a light amount of pepper, and that's it.  The concept I was shooting for was neutral chicken that I can make up however I want on the day.  Like canned, but roasted instead because I don't can meats.

I did have some reserved chicken fat from a previously roasted chicken to rub on the breasts instead of oil.  That's the little jar on the left.  My "recipe" for this is to roast at 350º until a thermometer reaches 165º in the thickest part of the breast, about 40 minutes.  Let rest 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle, then slice or shred.

So what do you do with roasted slices of chicken?  Add to salads or pasta, make chicken salad, drop into soup at the last minute, really anything you would use leftover chicken for.  I packed it with kimchi and a faint drizzle of teriyaki sauce one day (yes, I know it's loaded with sugar) and leftover garlic green beans and broccoli another.  One day, I did have some rice with it, but I kept the portion small.  Another day, I had some leftover bean soup and added the chicken slices to it.  It tastes great with balsamic vinaigrette and any vegetables in the fridge.

I'm trying here.  Two weeks until my recheck, when I find out if what I'm doing has helped at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.