Thursday, July 6, 2023

Lemon and Pepper Baked Swai

I'm trying to make good choices with the types of meats I eat, now that I'm having more of them.  That has resulted in adding fish on some "vegetarian" days.  I actually considered this the side dish to the socca instead of the main.

I decided to bake this with the same method as the salmon with date syrup, and was thrilled with the result.  The salmon wasn't an accident.  This is a really fantastic way to bake fish.  A little oil, seasonings, and cover the roasting pan with foil.  It steams in its own juices, but still develops the baked flavor.  It also does not dry out at all.

I used a preserved lemon to make this, but I'm giving alternate instructions for fresh lemon.  This is a very simple recipe that should be accessible to all.

4 swai filets (I used frozen)
1 Tb olive oil
*1 lemon, fresh or preserved
salt to taste (omit if using preserved lemon)
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
*1/4 tsp dried dill

1.  Arrange filets in a casserole and preheat the oven to 325º.  I chose to line the pan with parchment for easy cleaning.  Drizzle oil on top, then sprinkle with pepper and dill.  Also sprinkle with salt if using a fresh lemon.

2.  If using a fresh lemon, thinly slice and lay on top of fish.  For preserved, rinse well and scrape off pulp.  Slice rind into thin strips and scatter over fish.  Cover casserole tightly with foil.

3.  Bake until fish is opaque through and easily flaked, at least 20 minutes.  Actual time will depend on fish thickness and size of pan.  Mine were overlapping and half frozen when I put them in, so they took 50 minutes.  I had expected closer to 30, presuming they were completely defrosted.  Serve with extra lemon if desired.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.