Thursday, April 24, 2014

Balsamic Vinaigrette

For all the times I've mentioned balsamic vinegar and vinaigrette in this blog, I have never put down a definitive recipe.  I'm not sure I have one, but here's my latest version.

Classic vinaigrette recipes have a higher percentage of oil to vinegar than mine.  I like the flavor part of a salad dressing, and don't care how shiny it makes the lettuce.  That's really all the oil is there for.  Most vinaigrettes don't use olive oil because it hardens up in the fridge.  Passover limits your choice of oils, so I went with olive and pulled it from the fridge early enough for everything to blend properly.

1/2 C balsamic vinegar
2 Tb minced shallots
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cracked pepper
1/4 C olive oil

1.  Stir together vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper.  Allow to sit at room temperature and marinate for 1 hour.

2.  Pour into a container with a good lid.  Add oil and seal.  Shake very well to distribute oil.  Refrigerate until 1 hour before serving.  Remove from fridge, allow oil to melt back into a liquid, and shake again before serving.

Makes about 1 C, enough for 6-8 salads

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.