Friday, May 19, 2023

Passover Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ok, and I'm still not done with Passover recipes.  I took the week off to avoid being in a bakery, so I was eating every meal and snack at home.  Plus, you aren't supposed to go grocery shopping during the holiday.  I did, just for bananas and a leg of lamb that was on sale for only $5/lb.  I'll figure out when to cook it another time.

This started with the recipe on the back of the bag of Glick's chocolate chips.  Their recipe was gluten-free.  I spent a lot of money on that KLP baking powder and wanted to use it for something, so I subbed part of the almond flour with matzoh cake meal.  And cut the recipe in half, because that's a lot of cookies.

I'm pretty sure the reason my cookies didn't spread out was because I wasn't paying attention and put in 1/3 C oil instead of 1/2 C.  You wouldn't think 2 Tbs would make such a huge difference, but it does.  They also came out a bit crunchy, more like dunkers, which is probably because I baked them quite a bit longer than the 12 minutes on the package, waiting for them to brown.  But the flavor is very nice, and not overblown with almond, which is what I was trying to avoid.  As soon as I dipped them in tea, coffee, or warm milk, they softened right up.

1 C sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 C oil
1 Tb vanilla sugar
*1 C almond flour
*1/2 C + 2 Tb matzoh cake meal
*1/2 C potato starch
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/2 C chocolate chips

1.  Cream together sugar, oil, and egg until fluffy.  Add vanilla sugar (or KLP vanilla extract, if you have it), almond flour, cake meal, potato starch, and baking powder.  Beat until it forms a dough.  Stir in chips.

2.  Put the bowl in the freezer while you preheat the oven to 350º.  Form into small balls, about a generous tablespoon, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Do not flatten the balls; they will spread out on their own.  Bake 12-14 minutes, until browned.  Allow to cool about 3 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 24-28

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.