Thursday, May 4, 2023

Beet and Orange Salad

 

Because I wasn’t serving meat at Seder, I panicked and overdid it on sides.  It’s supposed to be a feast, after all.  I figured I would make up for the low density foods by having a lot of them.

This one was super easy, and I really could have used a can of sliced beets instead of doing it the hard way.  But, then I had the beet greens to cook up for another night.

I chose fennel leaves as my chopped herbs because I have them growing in the garden.  Parsley would work, or another herb that isn't too overpowering.

1 bunch red or golden beets (or one can sliced beets)
*1 orange
1 Tb olive oil
pinch of salt
*2 tsp chopped fresh herb of choice

1.  If working from scratch, preheat the oven to 375º.  Scrub beets clean.  Trim off root and stem ends.  Wrap in foil.  Bake about 45 minutes, until tender and the skins rub off.  Actual time will vary with size of beet.  If the skins are stubborn, they should come off very easily with a vegetable peeler.

2.  Thinly slice the cooled beets and plate on serving dish.  Peel and segment orange and arrange around the beet slices.

3.  Lightly drizzle salad with oil.  Sprinkle with salt and chopped herbs.  Serve chilled.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.