Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Carrot and Cabbage Soup

I think this is the last Passover recipe.  Probably.  And unless you're making your own broth, it isn't much to do.

I googled "cabbage matzoh ball soup" and found one with caramelized cabbage in it.  There was a whole lot more going on with it than I'm doing here.  This is a simple soup that could also be made as a chicken one.  It was designed as a light appetizer.  I only put the matzoh balls in because they're a holiday tradition.

I doubled this for the party, then realized I have no way to serve a soup in the dining room.  Ended up using the punch bowl, which was hilarious, but it was more attractive than the stockpot.  A couple of days later, a guest gave me her old tureen that she never uses as a thank you/birthday gift.  I'm very grateful, and now need to plan another party menu with soup in it.

*1 qt vegetable broth
*1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
1 Tb oil
1/2 lb carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Since this soup is flavored mainly by the broth, get a good one.  I emptied the broth bag and made half a gallon, adding in my reserved mushroom stems for a little umami.

2.  Heat the oil in a soup pot.  Over medium low, slowly cook the cabbage until lightly caramelized.  This will take about half an hour.

3.  Add broth and carrots.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.  Cook until flavors have a chance to meld, about 1 hour.

4.  Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.