Friday, January 18, 2019

Confetti Cake

I don't monetize, but I still don't want to run the risk of infringing on the Funfetti trademark, so we're calling it Confetti.

I haven't made a cake in a while, and started to miss the process.  Everyone at work wanted to know why I'd stopped bringing them, and I had to remind them that the Wedding Cake was done.  I had no reason to practice.  I also didn't have any new decorating ideas.

Then I found a cake I wanted to make.  More about that in the next post.  I could have used a previous recipe, and almost did it with a marble cake, but I wanted to try something new.  Considering the entire box of sprinkles I have, confetti made sense.
The first step is admitting you have a problem

In my recipe search, the common denominator seemed to be not to use nonpareils in the cake batter.  Those are the little beads, and half of the sprinkles in my box.  Fine, I bought more sprinkles.  At least this recipe uses an entire small container.

The batter recipe is a modified one from Preppy Kitchen, primarily because it's for 6" pans and doesn't use an indivisible 5 eggs.  He uses AP flour in all his cakes, and I swapped out half for cake flour because I have a lot of it and some of the YouTube comments talked about the cake being tough, but it still needed to be sturdy for the decoration I had in mind.  The butter turned into margarine because I prefer that in cakes.  I opted for whole eggs instead of egg whites, so used 1/4 C unflavored Greek yogurt instead of 1/2 C sour cream.  Similar acidity and swaps the volume.  As stated in the recipe, omitting the yolks is only about the color of the cake, and one of the recipes I had been considering was a yellow cake anyway.  All these changes did allow the batter to dome a little, which doesn't happen if you do it as written and use cake strips.  One layer was flat enough not to trim, and the other two had minor doming.  Snacks.

This post is only the cake itself.  Confetti frosting is just a basic buttercream with rainbow jimmies in it.  Honestly, it's cheaper to buy a can of Funfetti® frosting than to get the sprinkles separately, if you only need enough for decorating.

1 C All Purpose flour
2/3 C Cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 C margarine, room temperature
3 eggs, room temperature
1 C sugar
*1/2 C milk
1/4 C sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 C rainbow sprinkles (flat rounds or jimmies)

1.  Grease three 6" cake pans or two 8", line bottoms with wax paper, and grease again.  Preheat oven to 340º.  Adjust cake bands to fit, if using, and start soaking.

2.  Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

3.  In mixer with paddle, cream together margarine and sugar until fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at a time until smooth and fluffy, scraping the bowl between additions.  Beat in sour cream and it's going to start getting a little soupy.
4.  Stir in half of flour mixture on low speed.  Add milk and vanilla and stir to combine.  Add remaining flour and stir until just evenly moist.  Remove from mixer stand and fold in sprinkles, making sure to scrape sides of bowl.  Only mix until evenly distributed, or they'll start to melt.
5.  Divide batter evenly between pans, preferably using a kitchen scale.  That works a whole lot better if your pans are identical, so I did it by volume.  If you have cake pan strips, they will help reduce doming and eliminate the crust around the edges.  Bake until cakes test done, about 30 minutes.
6.  Cool cakes in pan 5 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.  Remove wax paper.  Cool completely before trimming and frosting.  These are very moist cakes, and I broke one by trimming it too soon.  Once cool, they can also be wrapped in plastic and foil and frozen to finish another day.

Makes one 3-layer 6" cake, about 8-10 servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.