Sunday, April 16, 2017

Turkey Matzoh Ball Soup


In culinary school, Chef invited some Jewish friends to our restaurant for lunch and assigned me the matzoh ball soup.  I think he had been waiting for a Jewish student for years for this.

I looked at the recipe he handed me.  It had broccoli and mushrooms in it, and no chicken.  I could not in good conscience make the recipe as written.  I got permission to strike out on my own and made what most Jews consider to be matzoh ball soup; mirepoix with a lot of salt and pepper, leftover chicken, and matzoh balls that hopefully don't break any teeth.

I did make my own stock for this one out of the last of the frozen turkey.  There was one wing in the bag, giving me just enough meat for two quarts worth of soup.  The matzoh balls were from a mix, so sorry if you clicked on the link in the hopes of getting a matzoh ball recipe.  Reform Jews reach for the box.
*2 lbs turkey bones with meat on them, like wings or a carcass
2 qts water
*1 bay leaf
*1/2 tsp dried sage
*1/4 tsp peppercorns
*2 C out of the broth bag or:

  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 3 stalks celery
1 package matzoh ball mix and whatever you mix into it
salt and pepper to taste (the mix is going to be salty, so go easy)
1.  Brown bones in a large saucepan over medium heat, about 5 minutes.  Add water and simmer, covered, for two hours.

2.  Add 2 cups assorted veggie trimmings or half of the items listed above.  Also add bay leaf, sage, and peppercorns and simmer an additional hour.

3.  Strain out everything until you have just the clear broth.  I used a double layer of cheesecloth over a mesh strainer to keep it as clear as possible.  Place the bones on a cutting board and get as much meat off them as you can.  Everything that isn't chopped turkey gets thrown out.

4.  Return stock and turkey to the pot.  Cut remaining onion, carrot, and celery into attractive pieces and add to the pot.  Simmer for half an hour while the matzoh balls are cooking.  Taste the broth and add salt and cracked pepper as needed.  Serve hot, with one to three matzoh balls per bowl.

Serves about 6-8

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.