Monday, August 26, 2013

Tequila-Lime Chicken

I was just cooking up some drumsticks to shred the chicken for burritos, but it looked too good.  I guess the taste I was going for was like the Cuban restaurant Versailles' chicken, which is ridiculously good.  I didn't put as much salt in this marinade, but the taste came through.  Versailles' is better.  I think they have a flame grill, and marinate for much longer than I did.

I'm less scared of using tequila in a marinade than last time, and still tasted the lime juice far more than the spirit.  I suspect the alcohol was a catalyst for making the marinade flavors permeate the meat.  Whatever works.

1 chicken, cut up (or any 8 pieces) - skin-on
*1/4 C tequila
*2 Tb lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
*1/2 C coarsely chopped onion

1.  Make marinade by stirring together tequila, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.  Add chicken and turn pieces to coat.  Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.

2.  Preheat oven to 325º.  Arrange chicken pieces in roasting dish.  Pour remaining marinade over pieces.  Sprinkle top with onion and bake until thickest piece registers 165º on a thermometer and the juices run clear.  Serve hot, or shred for other uses.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.