Sunday, August 11, 2013

Whipped Purple Sweet Potato

Two days until I can have food with texture.  I really want a steak.  Meanwhile, I didn't want to have boring potatoes with the frozen fish fillets I picked up.  Instead, I got some purple sweet potatoes on impulse, with no idea what I wanted to do with them.

What I didn't know is that, in Hawaiian and some Asian cuisines, these are used as a dessert flavoring.  They aren't used often as a savory base.  Change of plans, I started soaking some garbanzo beans.  I also saw that coconut milk is a common way to make it creamy.  Whatever, I had cream on hand and some flakes.  I wasn't going back to the store.

Look, I'm using my new ramekins!

1-1/2 lb purple sweet potatoes
salt
2 Tb butter
*1/2 C heavy cream
*1/2 C sweetened coconut flakes
1/4 C sugar
*1/2 tsp ground ginger
*1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
more coconut for garnish

1.  Peel and coarsely chop potatoes.  Place in a medium saucepan with lightly salted water to cover.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until potatoes are very tender, about half an hour.

2.  Drain potatoes and place in mixing bowl while still hot.  Beat until smooth.  Add butter and cream and beat again until butter is melted and everything is incorporated.  Beat in coconut, sugar, ginger, and nutmeg until combined.

3.  Portion into serving cups, about 1 cup each, and sprinkle with coconut.  A topping of crushed macadamias would probably taste great.  (No, I'm not bitter...)  Either serve immediately, or chill as a cold dessert and let everyone try to figure out what's in this "pudding".

Difficulty rating π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.