Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kale with Garbanzo Beans

I admit, my kale repertoire is limited.  This one tasted different enough for me to post.  At this point, I didn't care; I hadn't had anything resembling a proper vegetable in over two weeks.  You don't miss crunchy veggies until you can't have them.  In this case, I chopped up the kale a lot more than I ever have, so I wouldn't have to chew it much.

This could easily be served on its own as a kind of vegan casserole, and is very good for you.  I used it as a way to dress up frozen fish fillet night.

1/2 C diced onion
2 Tb olive oil
salt
1 bunch green kale, de-stemmed and chiffonaded
2 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 C dried garbanzo beans or 1 can, drained
1 batch oven-dried tomatoes (either chopped or made with cherry or grape tomatoes)

1.  If cooking the beans, soak for 8 to 12 hours.  Drain, cover with water, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.  Drain again.  Otherwise, just drain a can and rinse.

2.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add diced onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add chopped kale and sprinkle lightly with salt to taste.  Cook until kale is completely wilted and most of the excess moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes.  Add garlic and beans; cook another 2 minutes, to heat the beans through.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.