Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tequila Chicken

Yes, I have a very well-stocked liquor cabinet.  I had never even had tequila, but this recipe from the Barefoot Contessa sounded interesting.  And I was going up to the produce stand in Ventura again anyway.  They have limes at 4/$1.

I figured I should taste the tequila before soaking the chicken in it.  I had the tiniest sip.  Have you ever seen "The Three Amigos!"?


After getting tipsy from less than a teaspoon of the stuff (I'm really a lightweight), I cut the amount in the marinade by half.  I don't care if very little of the marinade actually makes it into the meat and most of that cooks off.

This is really a recipe for grilling.  I found a cool frying pan with grilling ridges and used that to get it started before putting it in the oven.

This also works better with boneless chicken breasts, or even chicken tenders.  Hey, it's what I had in the freezer.

1 lb chicken breast
2 Tb tequila
2 limes, zested & juiced
1 lemon, zested & juiced
1 tsp chili powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 Tb olive oil

1.  Prepare marinade: Combine tequila, lime and lemon juice and zest, chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Add chicken.  Refrigerate for at least 8 hours, turning periodically.

2.  Preheat grill or a frying pan and the oven to 325º.  Brush oil onto grill or fry pan.

  • For grill:  Cook for 3 minutes on each side, and continue turning until meat thermometer reaches 160º.  Baste periodically with marinade, but stop before the last time you turn the meat.
  • For stovetop:  Pan-fry for 3 minutes on each side, basting each side with marinade.  Transfer to a baking dish and cook in oven until meat thermometer reaches 160º, about 20 minutes.

Serves 3 to 4

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.