Sunday, July 26, 2026

Pumpkin Protein Custard

I read several recipes for pumpkin pudding that are high protein, but didn't really find what I wanted.  I was kind of in the mood for a keto version of the pumpkin chiffon pie.  So that's what this is, except I put in the whole eggs instead of doing the chiffon whip part.  I didn't think I could finish the batch before the egg whites started to weep and separate.

The custard part of the title is because this will be cooked.  I'm doing the stovetop version and not baked like a crème brulée.  The mixture just has to get to 145ºF to be safe.  I went to 155º because some would be in the fridge for longer than three days.  Just being extra cautious.

The protein powder does the heavy lifting here for sweetness.  The date syrup/molasses is for flavor.  To make this truly keto, simply omit it, but you will be missing a layer of complexity.

I got five ramekins because they hold a cup if you go up to the rim.  Where I filled them, it made five servings.  This will also make enough filling for a 7" graham cracker pie crust.  Or you could make some kind of trifle or tiramisu with it, if you build the layers before the gelatin sets.

1 envelope plain gelatin, softened in 1/4 C cold water
*1 15 oz can pumpkin purée (not pie filling)
1 C milk
*1 serving (2 scoops) vanilla protein powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
*1 Tb date syrup or molasses
2-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp salt
whipped cream for serving, optional

1.  While the gelatin is softening, add all remaining ingredients to a saucepan.  Stir to combine, getting out the lumps of protein powder.

2.  Heat the pumpkin mixture over medium, stirring frequently.  When it starts to spit, stir constantly.  Cook until mixture reaches at least 145ºF and thickens, about 8 minutes.   Remove from heat.

3.  Stir in gelatin until dissolved.  Portion into serving cups.  Chill until ready to serve.  If desired, top with whipped cream.

Makes about 4 C, 4-6 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.