Monday, July 20, 2026

Leek-Yogurt Dip

Since my leeks aren't as wide as the ones you buy in the market, I didn't realize they were past time to harvest.  June 30th, I found my first scape.  Since I was leaving the next day on vacation, I decided to let it go for the week and harvest it when I got back.  That meant I was going to have to put the leek in whatever I made first.

After a week of eating out and mostly carnivore, I made a vegetable platter.  While not as elaborate as Purim, I did include the charred cabbage.  For the rest of the veggies, I made this dip.

This is barely a recipe.  Apologies.  It's a yogurt-based "onion" dip.  I didn't add any additional herbs, but you could make it your own with dill, oregano, thyme, or any favorite.

*1 leek, white and green parts only
1 Tb olive oil
*celery salt to taste
*1-1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
1 Tb lemon juice

1.  Trim off root and leafy green ends of leek.  Slice in half and rinse under running water to remove any grit.  Thinly slice.

2.  Heat oil in a small skillet on medium heat.  Add leek and cook until softened, stirring occasionally.  It will take 5-8 minutes.  Remove from heat and set aside.

3.  Whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp celery salt.  If using additional herbs, add now.  Stir in cooked leeks and taste.  Adjust seasonings as needed.  Chill until ready to serve.

Makes about 2 cups

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.