Thursday, July 18, 2024

Whole Wheat Noodles

I was going to make a whole elaborate pasta and veggie thing, then this happened:

It isn't broken, but it hurts a lot.  Of all the stupidly hazardous things I do on an average day, I hurt it on the nightstand getting into bed.

So, change of plans.  I decided I could make pasta dough on one foot and opened a bunch of cans for the rest of the meal.  Well, I guess I did cut up a leek.  The finished product wasn't a whole lot different from the original vision, so I'm going to go ahead and post the pasta part of the endeavor.  I definitely would have preferred the taste and texture of fresh vegetables, but the pasta part really was pushing it.

The urgent care team didn't give me a time frame of how long it was going to take to heal.  It probably depends on how much I walk on it.  Which is all the time.  I do at least 15,000 steps a day on work days, about half that on days off, so this is kind of frustrating.  I know, I should be grateful it isn't broken and I don't have to wear a boot.

Because I'm basing this recipe on the one I use for regular pasta, it's in metric and uses the scale.  The yield is about 10 oz once dried, almost 12 oz fresh.  I didn't measure the flour by volume because I made this early before work and let it dry all day.  Before my first cup of coffee, things were running on instinct.

100g whole wheat flour, plus more for dusting
100g bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tb water

1.  Measure both flours and salt into a bowl and whisk together.  If you sub all-purpose flour instead of bread flour, you might not need the water at the end.

2.  Make a well in the middle and crack eggs into it.  Add olive oil and water.  With a fork, work liquid ingredients into the dry.  It's still going to look very crumbly.  Ditch the fork and knead with your hands a few minutes until smooth.  It's still going to be sturdy.  Wrap in plastic so it doesn't dry out.  Rest 30 minutes at room temperature, or in the fridge if you aren't going to get back to it for a while.

3.  Divide the dough ball into 3 or 4 pieces so it's easier to manage.  Flour a surface with wheat flour and roll out the dough very thinly.  I was going to do this all by hand, but foot.  I got out the pasta roller.

4.  Once dough is at desired thickness, cut into strips.  Toss with a little more flour so the slices don't stick together.  To dry, just set aside for several hours until brittle.  Dried pasta may be frozen for several weeks before cooking.

5.  When ready to cook, boil a large pot of at least two quarts of salted water.  Add pasta, stir, and return to a low boil.  Cook until desired tenderness, about 5-8 minutes, drain, and serve with topping of choice.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.