Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Green Onion Pesto

All right, that's it, these onions are never making seeds.  I left a couple, just in case, and pulled all the ones with really good green leaves.

I've been trying to discipline myself this summer to get a lot of hanging projects done.  Each week I'm tackling at least one project in four categories: gardening, preserving, mending, and deep cleaning.  Gardening has been mostly pruning back years of overgrowth.  Preserving can be store-bought or garden bounty.  Mending doesn't only refer to sewing; it can be any repair or a craft project.  Deep cleaning is any project above my weekly basics, including painting something.  Unless I don't have a mending project that week, and painting becomes that.  There were a lot of minor painting projects on the list.

I dehydrated some of the green onions, and my oven still smells like it weeks later.  I decided to make pesto. Wow, those onions were big.  I cut off the white and light green parts, and it was still a lot.  And now I have four onions to use in something.  Maybe I'll dice and freeze them as white onions.  The greens ended up making almost two quarts of pesto.  That's half a gallon.  I'm going to be putting pesto on everything.

I'm scaling this down to one grocery-store bunch.

*1 bunch green onions
*1/2 C grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
*1/4 C nut of choice (pine nuts are traditional.  I  used cashew.)
2 cloves garlic
salt to taste
Olive oil for consistency (about 1/4 C)

1.  Remove root ends from onions.  Coarsely chop.  Peel and mince garlic.

2.  Add nuts and cheese to food processor.  Pulse until well chopped, but not a paste yet.

3.  Add onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt if desired.  Run processor into a paste.

4.  Scrape down sides and put the lid back on.  While processor is running, drizzle in oil until desired consistency is reached.  Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

5.  Use immediately, refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze.

Makes about 1 cup

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.