Sunday, July 21, 2024

Almond and Cherry Layer Cake

I haven't made a cake in ages, probably since the whole high blood sugar thing.  That seems to be under control, so I'm going for it.

Before Purim, the only hamantaschen filling I could find was cherry, so I bought a can.  Later, I found the prune in the fifth store I tried.  It has been sitting in the pantry since, waiting for me to figure out how to use it.  I've been on a kind of Pantry Challenge, trying to find ways to use items I bought without a specific purpose.  This one used the filling, some almond flour, and the KLP almond milk I never opened.  Really, the only thing in it that I would have to replace was the eggs.  I even had enough leftover frosting in the freezer to do a naked cake look.

I'm basing this recipe off my Lavender Cake, with a few changes for the almond flavor.  The amaretto in the filling is optional, but does enhance the almond in the cake.  I made a 1/3 recipe in a 6" pan, and it didn't rise as much as I was expecting.  I think because I was trying sugar substitute.  It just doesn't dissolve properly.  It's a learning curve.  I have over half the can of filling left, and might try again.  Besides, I really liked the cake.

3/4 C sugar
3/4 C margarine
3 eggs, room temperature
*2/3 C milk or almond milk
*1-1/2 C cake flour
*1/4 C almond flour
2 Tb baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp almond extract
*1/2 C cherry pastry filling
*1 Tb amaretto (optional)
frosting, powdered sugar, or fondant for top
sliced almonds and fresh or maraschino cherries for garnish

1.  Grease two 8" round cake pans.  Line the bottoms with wax paper or parchment and grease again for guaranteed removal.  Preheat oven to 350º.  If using, start soaking cake pan strips.

2.  Cream together margarine and sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time, then milk.

3.  Sift together cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir into wet mixture, then beat until smooth, about one minute.  Beat in almond extract to finish the batter.

4.  Divide batter evenly between pans, preferably using a scale.  Bake until lightly browned and a  toothpick inserted in the middle is clean, about 30 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and pull off the paper from the bottoms.  Allow cakes to cool to room temperature before topping.  It's easier to freeze them once cooled and finish another day.

5.  To make filling, stir together cherry filling and amaretto, if using.  If you can't find filling without chunks of fruit, either use jam or scrape the goo off the cherries in traditional pie filling.

6.  Place bottom layer of cake on serving platter.  Level the top if necessary, then spread the filling to the edges.  Top with other cake.  If frosting, chill in the fridge 10 minutes so things don't slide around as much.  For powdered sugar or fondant topping, no need to wait.  Decorate and serve.

Makes one 8" cake, about 8-10 servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.