Sunday, February 25, 2024

Roasted Plantains

I wasn't specific on my "pile of veggies" grocery list, and saw plantains on sale for 50¢ each.  They did not fit in my Italian-leaning menu, but that didn't stop me from buying one.  If I'm roasting veggies, what's one more thing in the oven.

The one I bought was slightly yellow, so it was a tiny bit sweet.  If you want to make this more like a substitute for potatoes, buy a green one.  Honestly, I didn't want to go to the extra effort to peel a green plantain.  They're much harder to peel than a ripe one.

2 green or mostly green plantains
1 Tb olive oil
*1/4 tsp ground sumac

1.  Preheat oven to 400º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.

2.  Peel plantains and cut into rounds.  To peel, cut off both ends, then make a slit lengthwise.  Pull off peel, trying not to bruise the fruit.

3.  Slice into 1/2" thick rounds.  In a bowl, toss with oil and sumac.  Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.

4.  Roast for about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.