Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Cranberry Slow Cooker Pork

I haven't done a slow cooker recipe in a while.  Of course, this can also be done on the stove on the lowest setting or in the oven at 220º.

This was the last pound from the large pork roast I cut up.  I'm kind of running low on red meat in the freezer.  Might be time to call my friend and split another brisket.  There's plenty of chicken, but how much chicken can I really eat?

To be honest, this recipe is a lot like cranberry brisket.  Less onion and the addition of vinegar are the main changes.  I had a little cranberry ketchup left, so I used that instead of half the vinegar.  You should use an acid to cut the sweetness of the cranberry sauce.  The berry tartness isn't quite enough.

1/2 yellow onion, sliced
*1-1/2 lb pork butt roast
1 C cranberry sauce
2 Tb apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp kosher salt
water as needed

1.  If using, place liner in crock.  Arrange onions at bottom, then roast.  I had to cut mine in a couple of pieces to fit it in.

2.  In a bowl, mix together 1/2 C of the cranberry sauce, the vinegar, peppercorns, and salt.  Add 1 C water and mix until smooth.

3.  Pour sauce over roast.  The water should come up at least halfway.  If it doesn't, add a bit more.

4.  Cover crock and set on low for 8 hours or high for 4.

5.  Once the meat is fall-apart tender, remove from crock with tongs.  Serve with the onions from the bottom and remaining cranberry sauce.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.