Thursday, February 1, 2024

Herbed Rice and Lentils

I wanted something to go with the curry that was more than just a side of rice and tossing the lentils into the sauce.  I tried to come up with something that I could also use in the future as a side for fish, chicken, or as a vegan main.  Honestly, I might make this again in the summer as a cold salad with a light vinaigrette, so don't be surprised if that happens in six months.  The little bit I had left over once the curry was gone got topped with shredded chicken and taken to work for lunch.

Side note on grocery store baked chicken.  I don't buy the pre-roasted ones often, but there was a special that made them cheaper than canned, and I did want the bones for broth.  What I didn't realize until I got there was they are only itty-bitty two pound chickens.  No wonder they were so cheap.  I did get a pound and a half of meat off it, which was pretty much what I wanted, and enough bones for a quart of broth.  In the future, I'm going to wait for a per-pound special on a chicken twice that size and roast it myself.  You do pay extra for shortcuts.

3/4 C Jasmine, basmati, or other long grain rice
3/4 C green lentils
*2 C assorted herbs or greens
salt and pepper to taste
*2 Tb lime juice

1.  Sort and rinse lentils.  Bring to a simmer with water to cover by at least 1 inch.  Cover and cook until tender and split, about 30-40 minutes.  Drain and rinse.

2.  When the lentils are about half done, start the rice.  If desired, rinse first for a less starchy result.  I like the starch.  Bring to a simmer in about 1-1/2 C water.  Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  If rice is too dry when fluffed, add 1/4 cup and let rest 5 minutes.

3.  Chop your herbs and greens.  I went through the garden and grabbed handfuls of whatever seemed good.  There was arugula, cilantro, and the leaves off the celery that I put in the curry.  Parsley would be good, or spinach, or chard.  Use your imagination.

4.  Toss together rice, lentils, and greens.  Drizzle in lime juice, salt, and pepper and toss again to distribute.  Serve either warm or chilled.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.