Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Omelet Muffins


I've been wanting silicone muffin cups for several months, just to make these.  I wasn't seeing what I wanted at Michaels, though they did have one mold that makes 3-tier cupcakes that look like mini wedding cakes.  Then I found a six-cupcake one at the 99¢ Store for $2.  Sold.

While these make excellent pieces for a brunch buffet, my intent was for meal prep.  Some mornings, I would rather stay in bed ten more minutes than get up to make a hot breakfast.  Once baked, these can be popped out and frozen, then nuked as needed.  That was the point behind the silicone molds.

Like a quiche, you can put whatever you want in them.  I had some latkes left in the freezer from Christmas, so they went on the bottom.  You could use cooked hash browns.  Or not, if you aren't a hash brown person.  I added some cheddar and a little bit of veggies I scrounged up.  You could do sausage or bacon.  This is very much a build your own thing.

Does it work in a regular muffin pan?  I'm not brave enough to find out.  You would have to grease the heck out of it.  There's a reason quiches have a crust.

4 eggs
1/2 C milk
*about 1 C of fillings like sausage, potatoes, cheese, veggies, etc. Meat and potatoes should be pre-cooked
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Preheat oven to 325º and get out a 6-count silicone muffin pan.  Whisk together eggs, milk, and a little salt and pepper.  I also added paprika.  Set aside.

2.  Evenly distribute fillings between the 6 muffin cups.  If you have an ingredient that tends to be greasy, like sausage or fried potatoes, put that at the bottom to help release.

3.  Pour egg mixture into muffin cups, trying to get all filled the same amount.  It helps to jiggle them a little, to settle out any air pockets.

4.  Bake about 30 minutes, until eggs are set.  Cool 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out to cool completely.  Don't worry if they deflate a bit or shrink up.  Eggs do that as they cool.

5.  Serve warm or cold.  If freezing, refrigerate before wrapping in plastic and sealing in a baggie or container.

Makes 6, or 3-4 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.