Sunday, August 20, 2023

Chicken Tagine (Slow Cooker Version)

I made a Crockpot pork roast as kalua pork and instantly became a convert to making meats in it.  Next up on my wish list was chicken tagine.

I might buy a bigger slow cooker, and keep my little one just for yogurt.  Not super huge, maybe a 4 or 5 quart.  This one was never intended to cook four main dish servings.  Four chicken thighs were kind of a tight fit.  Granted, they were big.

This one was super easy.  I didn't brown anything.  Onion, garlic, chicken, sprinkle on spices, pour in some water, and go.  You can definitely brown the chicken or sauté the onions first if you want, but I was leaving the house pre-dawn.  I set up everything but the water the night before and kept it in the fridge.  In the morning, the crock was transferred to the heating element, I added the water, and set it on low while I was at work.  This is just the kind of thing I bought the appliance for.

I used some "tagine spice" as part of my mix.  A quick search will find you many brands, including my local Sadaf.  If you can't find something similar, maybe labeled Moroccan seasoning, there are numerous DIY recipes online, likely with spices you already have.

I do realize that one chicken thigh per serving doesn't sound like enough.  For one thing, even that barely fit in the cooker, but it's also an actual serving of meat.  3-4 oz, about the size of a deck of cards.  It's how I've judged my portions for years, so I'm used to it.  It can shock some people.  I'm trying to adhere to the 3/4 of the plate being veggies rule.

*1/2 yellow or white onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic, minced
4 chicken thighs
*2 tsp tagine spice
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3" cinnamon stick
water as needed

1.  Line slow cooker with a disposable liner.  This is a lot of spices.  Or, put a roaster bag in a 3 quart casserole with a lid.

2.  Place the onion and garlic at the bottom of the crock.  Fit in the chicken, then add the spices.

3.  Add about 1 C water, at least halfway up the crock.  Top with the lid.  If oven-baking, set to 175º.  For slow cooker, set on low.  Run for 6-8 hours, until chicken is fall apart tender and thermometer reads at least 165º.  If you strain the liquid, it's a Moroccan-style chicken bone broth.  Not a lot of it, but still worth adding to a small batch of soup.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.