Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Snack Prepping: Orange Slices

I can't take credit for this one.  Leisa at Sutton's Daze did a video.  I had been wondering how to preserve the last of this year's Valencia oranges.  Like Phil, I'm not a fan of peeling oranges, which is why they tend to linger on the tree.  I drink OJ daily, so it isn't an aversion to the fruit itself.

I'm going a step farther than the video did by also preserving the orange zest to use in baking through the year.  Since I don't own a dehydrator, I'm using the convection setting on the oven.  I don't go through much, so I just shred the prettiest areas, a couple of tablespoons.

"Peeling" lasted about five seconds before I got out a knife and cut the peels off.  Eleven oranges. Took long enough that way.  I don't want to know how bad it would have been if I had peeled them properly.

1.  Line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment.

2.  Peel oranges or cut the rinds off them, then divide into segments.  That part got messy, and I probably ate an orange worth of torn pieces.  Arrange wedges on the baking sheet.

3.  Freeze tray until oranges are solid, about 2 hours.  Working quickly, fill snack baggies with them.  I only have sandwich baggies, and put about a snack-sized amount in each.  Put baggies back in the freezer. If desired, put the little baggies inside a gallon one, both for extra protection from freezer burn and so they don't get lost.

4.  To serve, defrost in the fridge for a few hours or pop into a lunch box to defrost on the way.

Difficulty rating  :) (for peeling)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.