Thursday, March 2, 2023

Slow Cooker Beans

Because the last thing I need is another small kitchen appliance, I bought a Crockpot.  It has been getting to the point that I keep having to rearrange the meal plan because I have a slow-cooked meal scheduled on a work day, or I need the oven at two different temperatures, or I don't want to leave on the gas stove while I'm at an appointment for two hours.

My family has no experience with slow cookers.  Papa Smurf's career was analyzing mechanical and electrical malfunctions, so leaving an appliance on while out of the house or asleep was never an option.  He would be horrified to know I bought one.  But after sending Melody Smurf one for her birthday, I realized how many things I make could be so much easier if I had one of my own.

I got the smallest one, a 2-quart, because I don't plan to use it for anything big.  Most of the time, it's just me.  Yes, I cook four portions at a time, but they're true portions and not restaurant size.  The crock insert itself is quite nice and oven safe to 400ºF.  I see myself baking artisan bread in it, instead of in an aluminum cake pan.  The first thing I "made" in it didn't even use the heating element.  I put a batch of yogurt into the crock, which is when I learned it only holds 1-1/2 quarts to the dent below the rim.  It was an experiment to see if I could make Greek yogurt out of powdered Nido milk, which has other stuff in it like soy.  I have been going through a lot of yogurt lately, and it's kind of pricey because milk prices are going up, but the Nido is still pretty affordable.  The yogurt turned out wonderfully thick and not very tangy.  I didn't have to drain out any floating whey, but I think I'll up from 6 to 8 hours next time for taste.

This batch of baked beans is the first thing I cooked properly in the Crockpot.  Side note on slow-cooker beans, it is very important to soak them 8-12 hours first.  You can't half-ass it with a quick soak because they won't cook through in 8-10 hours.  And it isn't recommended to do red or kidney beans without cooking them first; there's some kind of enzyme or something in the dry beans that's toxic, but that proper cooking eliminates.  Out of a can is fine, since they're pre-cooked during the canning process.

*3/4 C dry Navy or Great Northern beans
1/2 C diced onion
*1/4 C tomato paste
1/4 lb chopped bacon (optional-I skipped it for vegetarian night)
*1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
*1 tsp prepared mustard of choice
*1 Tb molasses
*1/2 tsp liquid smoke
3 Tb brown sugar
water

1.  The night before, sort and rinse beans.  Soak in 3 C water.  Can be done in the crock.  I tried doing the baking soda thing, where you put half a teaspoon in the soaking water to loosen the skins.  No idea if it worked.  I was able to rub off some of them.

2.  Early in the morning, drain and rinse the beans.  Discard any floatings skins and beans that failed to swell.  Either spray the crock or use a liner.  I opted for a liner.  Add all ingredients to the crock.  Top with 1-1/2 C water and stir to combine.  Set slow cooker on low,  put on the lid, and let it run for 8-10 hours.  When I came home, I stirred it and temped it at 200ºF, which is enough to cook meat and veggies, but a little low for beans.  It was still a couple of hours until dinner and the sauce was kind of thin, so I turned it up to high, cracked the lid a bit, and did some other stuff until I got hungry.  That brought it to a full boil and caramelized the sugars and tomato better.  This is also when you're happy you used a liner and aren't burning anything into the crock.

2a.  If you want your beans done sooner, cook on high and they will be done in 4-6 hours, but retain the slow-cooked texture.
I need a tripod
3.  Serve hot.  It's also better warmed up the next day.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.