Thursday, February 9, 2023

Cabbage and Pear Slaw

 

One of the things I have to use up is my ridiculous nut collection in the freezer.  There's only so much trail mix you can eat.  I decided to add nuts to a salad and have it with the brisket.  For some reason, I was really wanting cabbage.  Totally not my normal craving.  I skipped making sauerkraut or kimchi last year. Started a batch of kraut with the other 3/4 of the cabbage.

The basis for this salad came from the Germany chapter of my children's international cookbook.  They even had the idea to wilt this into a cooked salad if you didn't want crisp.  I just changed the dressing a tiny bit.

Unlike most American slaw, you don't add sugar to this one.  The pear adds the sweetness, so you're going to get a lot of tang from the vinegar.  If it's really not to your liking, you can add some honey to tame it.

8 C shredded cabbage (about 1/2 lb)
*1/2 tsp celery salt
1 pear, ripe but not mushy (I used a Bartlett)
*1/4 C mayo
1 Tb cider vinegar
milk as needed
*1/4 C peanuts, halved or chopped

1.  Place cabbage shreds in a large skillet or soup pot with a lid.  Sprinkle with celery salt and cover.  Cook on medium low until wilted, stirring every few minutes.  It should reduce by half.  Set aside to cool.

2.  Core the pear and dice into 1/2" pieces.  Add to cooled cabbage.

3.  Whisk together mayo and vinegar.  Thin with milk until the consistency of Ranch dressing, about 1-2 Tb.

4.  Pour dressing over cabbage.  Toss to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Garnish with peanuts.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.