Tuesday, April 26, 2022

DIY Trail Mix

Hmm, I don't have a label for "snacks" or "nuts".  So we're calling this Tea Time.  I tend to eat trail mix as an afternoon snack.

Sprouts has at least a dozen trail mix blends, generally priced below $8/lb, to fit nearly every diet and lifestyle.  Except mine, because I can't have hard nuts.  The only one that doesn't have whole almonds or another hard nut is all fruit.  I need a little protein if I reach for a bowl.

The original trail mix is affectionately called GORP by hikers: Good Old Raisins and Peanuts.  It's roasted and salted split peanuts, raisins, and often M&Ms.  It does what trail mix is supposed to do: be a shelf-stable, portable snack that gives you protein, a little fat, a little salt, and some sugar when you don't have time for a proper meal.

As I was picking through the bins, looking for the ingredients I wanted for my own mix, I realized that I was putting together something that would be less than $5/lb.  The most expensive ingredient was the cashews, which were on sale for $5.99.  Everything else came in under the average price of a bin trail mix.

Ok, yes, there are cheaper places to shop.  Sprouts isn't Whole Foods expensive, but you do pay for the clean and/or organic sourcing.  I'm sure Costco trail mix is much cheaper.  But if I crack a tooth on it, am I really saving any money?

The mix I'm showing here is to demonstrate the basic proportions I prefer.  I like half sweet, which includes any dried fruit and candy.  The coconut is fat, maybe 10%, and the rest is nuts for protein.  This batch was for Passover, which influenced my choices.  I added sunflower seeds to the leftovers afterwards, plus a little more dried fruit to compensate the sweetness.


*1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C roasted cashews
1/4 C raisins
1/4 C dried apricots, diced
1/4 C white chocolate chips
2 Tb unsweetened coconut flakes

1.  Add all ingredients to a bowl.  Stir to distribute evenly.

2.  Transfer to an airtight container.  Store away from light.  Keeps about 2 months.


Makes about 1 pint, 6-8 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.