Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Eggplant Pizza 4 Ways

I put Pizza on the meal calendar without any specific toppings mentioned.  The original plan was to clear out the crisper, but it was empty when it came time to make the pizza.

So I decided to clear out spreads and sauces instead.  I bought the eggplant for a topping, but went into the fridge door for a sauce.

I had a scraping of Char Shu, some vegan Caesar dressing, an open bourbon mustard, and some pesto that I need to find more uses for.  I decided to make each of the four pizzas with a different accent, yet essentially the same ingredients.

The eggplant got shredded in the food processor and cooked in a saucepan on medium until soft, then divided for the four pizzas.  The Chinese one mixed in garlic, a bit of soy sauce, and sesame seeds.  The Caesar added more of the dressing and a bit of parmesan.  Mustard was thyme.  And the pesto, being already parmesan, garlic, and herb, just got some lemon juice kick.

The base was a wheat naan dough and the cheese for all of them was mozzarella.  I didn't feel like ending up with half packages of four different cheeses.

So yeah, one eggplant was way too much for four pizzas, but I piled it on there anyway.  Some of the reheated ones on later days got some arugula or kale from the garden on them, just for a little color.

The moral of this story is to mix up your flavors once in a while, not just during pantry challenges.  Make teriyaki spaghetti (which happens to be very good), or a roasted vegetable sandwich.  You never know when you'll discover the next greatest recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.