Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Split-Pea Stew

 

It's really hard to come up with something using split peas that isn't soup.  I could have done an Indian-inspired curry, but I wasn't in the mood for something with that much liquid.  Instead, I decided to employ some of the giant container of dried tarragon I bought and skew French.

As a result, this is going to look a lot like the lentil and potato salad.  I realized that when I thought of putting preserved lemon in it and it sounded very familiar.  Yeah, I just made that.

So instead, I managed to turn 30¢ of split peas into a $7 meal.  It would be more for the average person, since I made my own broth and pulled half a loaf of bread out of the freezer for a side.  Plus, Sprouts seems to have caught on to the regrowing of kitchen scraps and cut off the roots of all the leeks.  Not the green tops that no one eats, but the roots.  I found one with just a tiny bit of root left and stuck it in water.  We'll see if that manages to grow.  I considered putting plant-based sausage or chevre cheese into this (it was vegetarian rotation), but ended up leaving it all veggie.

1 leek
1 Tb olive oil
*1 C dry split peas
1 10 oz can vegetable or chicken broth
*1 tsp dried tarragon
2 medium parsnips
5 oz white or crimini mushrooms
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  Thinly slice white and light-green parts of the leek.  In a medium saucepan, sauté in olive oil over medium-low heat until softned, 8-10 minutes.

2.  While they're doing their thing, sort and rinse the split peas.  I usually dump them in, but this cheap brand had a lot of skins left in it and I had gotten into the habit of sorting them out.  First thing I found when I opened the jar was a stone.  So yeah, sort and rinse your peas, lentils, and beans.

3.  Add peas and broth to the saucepan.  It isn't going to look like enough broth, but you're not making soup.  Sprinkle in tarragon and stir to combine.  Bring to a low boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cover.  Cook for 1 hour.

4.  Near the end of the hour, peel and chop the parsnips into rounds or half-moons, depending how big they are.  Wash the mushroom and cut into halves or quarters, again depending on size.

5.  Add parsnips and mushrooms to partially cooked peas.  The mushrooms are going to give off some water, but if you need to, add a little to the pot.  Remember, not soup.  Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20-30 more minutes.

6.  Taste and add salt and white pepper as necessary.  Serve hot, either on its own or over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.