Saturday, November 5, 2022

Honey Mustard Chicken

 

I used to make this a lot in college.  It was from one of those sauce packets that you just add water and milk.  Since I graduated from mixes to scratch, I don't think I've had honey mustard chicken.  Time to put it back in the repertoire.

For the mustard, you can use whatever is your favorite, even if that's basic French's.  I happened to use bourbon mustard because that was what was open.  Dijon would be especially nice, or you could add a touch of white wine to the pot.

I had three ginormous chicken thighs in the freezer baggie, so I'm scaling this for four portions.  The pan size should still work.

4 huge or 8 normal chicken thighs (or other favorite pieces)
1 Tb oil
*2 Tb mustard
1 tsp honey
1/2 C water or chicken broth
*1/4 C cream
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Heat a 12" skillet with a lid over medium-high heat.  Drizzle in oil and swirl to coat.

2.  Add chicken pieces, skin side down if skin on, bone side down if not.  Sear until browned, about 5 minutes.  Turn over and sear another 5 minutes.
3.  Add mustard, honey, and water to the pan.  Stir around to combine.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until internal temperature of the chicken is 165º, about 40 minutes.  Add more water if pan gets too dry.

4.  Add cream and bring sauce to a light simmer.  Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.  Serve hot, with sauce spooned over.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.