Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Rainbow Chard and Bulgur Salad

 

Somehow, my random throw-together of stuff into a side dish turned into a post.

I've never bought rainbow chard.  I don't think I've bought or cooked any chard.  It was not something we had growing up.  I had to google how to cook it.  I thought it came out pretty good, so here you go.  It's nice to use a new ingredient every so often.

I'm calling this a salad for the post, but it can be served either hot or cold.  Hot, it could qualify as a casserole.

*1/2 C dry coarse bulgur
1 bunch (about 1 lb) rainbow chard
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp lemon zest

1.  In a small saucepan, bring bulgur and 3/4 C water to a low boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.

2.  Remove thicker stems from the chard.  Chop into smaller lengths, about 2 to 3 inches.  Slice leaves into thin strips.
3.  Heat oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.  Add chard stems and garlic and cook until stems begin to soften, about 8 minutes.  Add chiffonade leaves and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Lower heat to medium low, top with lid, and allow to cook until greens have wilted, moving them around occasionally.

4.  Toss together chard and bulgur, adding the lemon zest along the way.  If serving as a hot side, plate immediately.  For a salad, chill until ready to use.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.