Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Stir-Fry with Teriyaki SPAM

I wasn't going to post this, since it's basically "fry up everything and serve over rice".  But I thought I'd turn it into a product review.

SPAM comes in flavors.  Who knew?  (Everyone who likes SPAM)  I had planned to pick up a can to use as breakfast ham when they were out of my turkey sausages, then saw a whole array of flavors.  For the heck of it, I picked teriyaki and came up with something else for breakfast.

The vegetables I'm using here are pretty basic for stir-fry, but they were also what I had on hand in the freezer and in the garden.  I'm almost out of home-grown green onion.  It's been at least six months since I've bought any.  Hoping the one I let flower produces viable seeds.  That would be super cool, if a $1 purchase could self-seed and produce onions in perpetuity.

Would I buy this product again?  Probably not.  I'm particular about my teriyaki, and this wasn't what I had in mind.  I could have added sugar to the pan to compensate.  I'll stick to a more conventional recipe in the future.

1 Tb vegetable oil
*3 green onions, sliced in 2" pieces
*2 carrots, cut in 2" sticks
*1 C sugar snap pea pods
*2 Tb black bean garlic paste
*1 tsp grated ginger
*2 Tb soy sauce
*1 tin Teriyaki SPAM
*rice for serving

I also used celery root, not in the recipe
1.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.  Add onions, carrots, and peas and cook until the onions and carrots soften, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

2.  Slice the SPAM thinly and cut into strips.  Add to the skillet with the black bean paste, soy, and ginger. Continue to cook until everything is heated through and sauce is evenly distributed.

3.  Serve hot over rice.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.