Thursday, August 18, 2022

Cornmeal Pancakes

 

I've been wanting pancakes for a while, but with my new habit of having leftover challah for breakfast, I haven't needed to make anything.  Then I decided to use the rest of one week's loaf as the luau bread, so I had an opening for breakfast.

I decided on cornmeal pancakes because I kind of wanted some with a bit of a crunch.  These do get crispy around the edges, and you can see some grains of cornmeal.  They are also softer than all-gluten flour pancakes.  If you use a GF flour like Bob's 1-to-1, these are very easily gluten-free.

Cook Fast Eat Well had a recipe I could get behind, but it made a lot so I cut it in half (one egg).  I also decided to use buttermilk, but the recipe is designed for regular.  Up to you.  For me, either is a powder, so it doesn't matter.  I have been cutting back my portion sizes and just eating an extra snack if I get hungry, so you may need to make the full recipe if there are no side dishes.  It's a summer thing that I don't eat as much.  You can also freeze leftovers.

*1/2 C fine or medium grain cornmeal (I used regular Albers)
1/2 C A.P. flour
1-1/2 Tb sugar
1/2 Tb baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
*1/2 C milk or buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tb vegetable oil, plus more for the skillet

1.  In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Separately, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, and 2 Tb oil.

2.  Add wet mix to dry and stir briefly until moistened.  Let sit 5 minutes to hydrate remaining lumps while you preheat the griddle over medium-high.

3.  Lightly grease skillet or griddle.  Add batter up to 1/4 C at a time, depending what size pancakes you want.  Mine are closer to 2 Tb, a 3" pancake.  Allow to cook about 3 minutes, until the bubbles stop breaking.  Flip pancakes and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.  Set aside, re-oil skillet, and repeat until batter is used.  Serve warm with butter and syrup.


Makes one dozen 3" pancakes

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.