Monday, August 15, 2022

Poi

 

I got some pork "stew meat" for next to nothing on the clearance aisle and needed to do something with it.  I decided to make kalua pork, which quickly evolved into a luau-themed dinner.  Sidebar, it's pretty amazing how few vegetables are included in luau menus.  I ended up just making a salad and slicing up a pineapple.  And if I was having a luau, I needed poi.

For those who don't know, poi is a sauce made from the root of the taro plant.  Traditionally, it's pounded; modern recipes allow a food processor.  I was able to get the taro root at Pavilions, but it was $5 a pound, which was when I decided to buy only half a pound.  It's a sauce, not a side dish.  I probably could have found a bag of prepared taro in the freezer section at an Asian market, but the gas involved would have negated any savings.  Next time I go to Mitsuwa, I'll put it on my list.

You will also notice that there are zero seasonings in this sauce.  That's probably why people don't really like it at first and dare each other to taste it.  Imagine mashed potatoes thinned to a sauce, but with nothing else in them.  I added salt after the first serving, and it helped immensely.

As for working with a new ingredient, it wasn't as bad as I expected.  I do like taro smoothies and ice cream.  I can see myself making the cooked and peeled roots as freezer items for use in other recipes, and as a new Passover alternative to potatoes.

I'm following the method on Heleloa, but her amounts are a bit ambiguous.  I always thought taro roots were larger than the ones I found, and she doesn't say how much it's supposed to make.  The recipe itself is very easy.

8 oz taro root
water as needed

1.  Scrub taro roots clean, but do not peel.  Place in a saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer and cook until they can easily be pierced by a fork, about 20-25 minutes.  Drain.


2.  Once cool enough to handle, peel roots and chop into 1" pieces.  I used a vegetable peeler on the first one, then realized they're more like beets and you can rub the skins off with your fingers.  They reminded me a lot of artichoke hearts, both in consistency and aroma.  They also oxidize like artichokes, turning from white to a kind of light greyish purple.  Process in the food processor with the main blade into mashed potato consistency.  Add water, a tablespoon at a time, until sauce is as thin as you want it.  I didn't measure, but it was probably half a cup to get to 2-finger, thinner than hummus but not falling from the spoon in ribbons.  Leave it a wee bit thicker than you want, if making it for later, because you're going to top it with water.  To go straight into a serving bowl, make it exactly how you want it served.

3.  If not serving immediately, you have two options.  One, pour into a non-reactive container, lightly add a little water to coat the surface, and refrigerate.  Two, you skip the refrigeration step and leave it on the counter for 2-4 days to ferment.  It's kind of like making the sour cream version of poi, a little tangy and almost an alcohol aftertaste.


Makes 1-1/2 to 2 cups, depending on consistency

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.