Monday, March 21, 2022

Turkey Meatballs with Apricot Chutney

Ground turkey was on sale last month, like everywhere.  I bought a three-pound tray for under $6, broke it down into one-pound baggies, and tossed them in the freezer.  I figured that, if nothing else, I would mix it into breakfast turkey sausage when my Banquet were out of stock yet again.

I got in the mood for meatballs, which happens maybe once a year.  The last time I made them was the goat cheese-stuffed ones I made while I had Covid.  This time, I was kind of more in the mood for sweet-and-sour, then hit up on the idea of using a jar of Mediterranean apricot-date chutney instead.

This kind of isn't fair to people who clicked on this looking for an apricot chutney recipe, so I'm going to post a one pint version of the Ball canning recipe and allot for the increased prep time.  The chutney does not have to be canned, it simply can be.  And by using it fresh, you can adjust the amounts of ingredients and not worry about safety.  I simply had the advantage of popping open a jar and pouring it into the casserole because I had done all the work months ago.

Chutney

10 oz dried apricots
water as needed
1/2 C lightly packed brown sugar
3/4 C chopped pitted dates
3/4 C raisins
1/3 C white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (omit for Passover)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground coriander

1.  Combine dried apricots and water to cover for 30 minutes.  Drain, chop into raisin-sized pieces and place in a non-reactive saucepan.  Add 1/2 C water and remaining ingredients.

2.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, until desired consistency is reached (about 20 minutes).

Meatballs

*1 lb ground turkey
*1/2 C cooked quinoa, rice, or matzoh meal (no rice for Passover)
*2 Tb cilantro, chopped
*1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 egg
1 Tb coconut or other oil for the pan

1.  While the chutney is simmering, make the meatball mixture.  Knead together turkey, quinoa, and herbs until evenly distributed.  Add egg and knead until completely mixed.

2.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  I should have used a bigger pan, at least 12".  Form 1 oz (2 Tb) balls of meat mixture and place in the skillet.  A pound is 16, but with the fillers you get more like 18-20.  Cook until browned on the bottom.  Turn, brown the other side, and keep turning until you achieve desired brownness on all sides.

3.  Add chutney to the skillet, and a bit more water if it's having trouble distributing.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165º, about 10 minutes.  Serve hot, with chutney as the sauce.  (It isn't Passover yet, so I had it with pasta.)


Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.