Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Peasant Bread

I didn't feel like having rice with the curried beans and decided to bake a new bread.  I've seen some posts for no-knead peasant bread and thought I'd give it a try.

It's weird to me not to knead or shape dough.  It's all done by stirring.  Dump the risen sponge dough into a greased, oven-safe vessel and bake.  That's it.

Being skeptical, I decided to use King Arthur Flour's recipe.  And also being skeptical, I cut the recipe in half.  Also, because that's a big loaf of bread.  It's essentially my own bread recipe with a third less flour.  It's the consistency I get in the stand mixer, before turning it out onto the pastry board to knead.  I'm just choosing to do it all by hand this time, to keep with the peasant theme.

I really miss my round glass casserole dish.  It cracked in a hot oven years ago.  That's what I made smaller batches of cornbread in, and it would have been perfect for this.  They make bread baking bowls and cloches now, but the last thing I need is another kitchen gadget.  None of my salad bowls are oven-safe to 425º.  So, I made this in my 3" deep 6" cake pan, the round casserole being used at the time on the beans.

I don't usually weigh my ingredients unless it's a metric recipe, but I decided to this time because I was using bread flour and the recipe, while saying that bread flour was an option, was written for A.P.  The original was also for instant yeast, and I use active dry yeast, so I proofed it first.  With instant, this is a one-bowl recipe.  My way, it's a bowl and a measuring cup.

So how did this measure up to kneaded bread?  It has its place.  The texture is muffin-like, but with gluten.  It has a thicker crust on top than the breads I usually make, yet no crust at all on the sides or bottom.  It's very close to sourdough, and I don't really like sourdough.  Staled, toasted, and run through the food processor, this would make amazing panko breadcrumbs.  You can also add herbs or cheese to the dough, which I didn't because it was my first time and I wanted to follow the recipe.  While you do still get the bragging rights for making a yeasted loaf, I wouldn't mind the extra five minutes to make it better by kneading.

2 C (240g) A.P. or bread flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
1 C 100ºF water
butter for greasing the pan

1.  To proof the yeast, stir together sugar and yeast in the water.  Allow to sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.

2.  Stir together salt and flour.  Stir in yeast mixture and keep stirring until thoroughly combined and a little stringy.  The dough will be very sticky.  Cover and set in a warm place until doubled, almost two hours.  If you want to do the slow-rise version, leave the covered bowl at room temperature 4-6 hours.

3.  Punch down the dough, which will still be very soft and sticky.  Scrape into a mound, either with forks or a bowl scraper.  Generously butter a clean bowl, cake pan, or casserole that is oven-safe to 425º.  Dump the batter-dough into the clean pan and allow to rise in a warm place, uncovered, while you preheat the oven to 425º, about 20 minutes.  If you're doing the slow-rise version, it could take closer 45 minutes to double.

4.  Bake at the high temperature for 15 minutes, to get the quick rise that makes it look rustic.  Lower oven to 375º and bake another 20 minutes, or until done.  There isn't much sugar in this dough, so it won't get browned.  You'll have to thump it.

5.  Turn out bread while still warm, then cool before storing.  If not to be eaten within two days, I recommend slicing and freezing.

Makes one small loaf, 4-6 servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.