Saturday, February 6, 2021

Orange Tofu with Rice and Broccoli

If I go totally off my allergy meds, Panda Express orange chicken makes me break out in a rash.  Yes, there's a little chili symbol on the menu, but it isn't a spicy dish.  You get maybe one red pepper flake every two or three pieces of chicken.  I just want to point out that when someone says they're allergic to a certain food, take their word for it.

While looking for a homemade orange chicken, so I could omit the red pepper flakes, I stumbled upon how to give tofu the same treatment.  It's a wonderfully light concept, very healthy, and you can make it as spicy or flat as you want.

The rice and broccoli are being included as part of this bowl to make it a full meal.  You could incorporate the tofu as part of a veggie stir fry, or do a half-and-half with bite-sized chicken pieces for a non-vegan version.  Wayfair keeps sending me suggestions to purchase meal bowls.  I'm getting closer to caving in, but I do have that fun pasta set that's so horrible in photos but great for sloppy meals.  I would have to give those up if I bought chic, white meal bowls that photograph better.

1 package extra-firm tofu
*zest of 1 orange
*1 C orange juice
1/4-1/3 C cornstarch
1/4 C light brown sugar
1 Tb soy sauce
*1 Tb grated ginger
*2 cloves garlic, minced
red pepper flakes to taste
about 1/4 C vegetable oil
*2 broccoli crowns, chopped and steamed
rice for serving
*sesame seeds for garnish

1.  Drain tofu and press for 15 minutes to get out as much water as possible.  I did it under a layer of paper towels and a filled quart jar.  Cube into 1" pieces.

2.  While tofu is draining, make rice and steam broccoli.  In a small bowl, stir together 1 Tb cornstarch and 2 Tb orange juice.  Set aside.

3.  In a saucepan, combine remaining orange juice, orange zest, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  I listed the zest first because if I don't, I'll forget to zest it before squeezing out the juice.  The brown sugar was to make this vegan.  If you want a lighter sauce, use granulated sugar and delete about a tablespoon.  Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, 10 minutes.  Stir in cornstarch slurry and cook until thickened.

4.  Spread remaining cornstarch on a plate or in a shallow dish.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Toss tofu cubes in cornstarch and place in skillet to fry.  Cook until browned, about 8 minutes on each side.

5.  Drain off any standing oil.  Add broccoli and sauce and stir to coat.  Serve immediately over rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds.  Leftovers won't be crispy, just like leftover orange chicken isn't.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.