Monday, February 15, 2021

Avocado Flatbread (Chapati)

YouTube is getting too good at anticipating my tastes.  It also seems to know what I have in my freezer.

I've mostly given up buying fresh avocados.  I don't really like them much, and they go from rock hard to overripe in the blink of an eye.  So I started buying frozen avocado chunks to keep on hand for the rare times I actually want some.  When a recipe for an avocado flatbread came up on my YouTube suggestions, it sounded like something the chunks were meant for.

The recipe I'm using is from an Indian recipe site, Cook with Kushi, so I'm considering these chapati.  If I was making them for a Mexican-themed meal, I'd call them tortillas.  For Mediterranean, I'd roll them thicker and call them pitas.  Flat breads exist in so many cuisines, it's a shame to pigeonhole them into only one.

The original recipe used all whole wheat flour.  I'm using part wheat and part white flour here because all-wheat baked goods can get a bit woody.  I'm a fan of very soft breads, even tortillas.

These are definitely healthier than your average tortilla.  The fat is replaced by the avocado.  That doesn't mean they're fat free or low calorie.  The avocado just brings actual nutrition to the party.  It's an important distinction to make.

*1 large avocado or 1-1/2 C frozen avocado chunks, defrosted
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
*3 Tb fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
water as needed
vegetable oil for frying (optional)

1.  If working from fresh, pit avocado and scoop flesh into a bowl.  Mash pulp with lemon juice (to maintain color), salt, curry, and cilantro into a smooth, Indian-themed guacamole.

2.  Work in whole wheat flour and 1/2 C all purpose flour.  This will require some kneading.  If too dry, add a touch of water.  If too damp, add more a.p. flour.  It's going to depend on the size and water content of your avocado.  You'll get a more reliable yield out of the frozen chunks.

3.  Once the dough is properly hydrated and uniform, shape into a ball and allow to rest 30 minutes.

4.  Divide your dough according to how big you want your flatbreads.  I went with the author's 8, which was slightly over an ounce by weight and made pieces less than 6" in diameter.  They're easier to roll at that size, and I could have gone with a smaller pan.  Roll out each piece into a thin round, flouring the board and pin as necessary.

5.  Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat.  If desired, add a bit of oil for a slightly fried taste.  I tried it both ways and ended up liking a very minimally oiled pan best.  It brings out the spices.  Place a flatbread on the skillet and cook until lightly browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes.  Flip and cook other side another 2 minutes.  This was when I wished I'd gotten out the pancake griddle.  It took a while to do these one at a time.

6.  Stack cooked flatbreads and cover with a towel to keep warm.  Serve immediately.  Can also be refrigerated for a few days or frozen after cooling for 1 month.

Yield depends on size, but 4 servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.