Saturday, May 30, 2020

Potato Salad

The tradeoff for unloading a box of matzoh on a neighbor was a bag of baby Yukon potatoes.  He had cooked one serving and decided he didn't like them.  Neither of us wanted to see any food land in the trash, but I didn't feel comfortable passing an open bag on to someone else.

I'm running out of things to do with potatoes.  Reading about the plight of potato farmers who are in real trouble without restaurants ordering them did not warm me to these one bit.

So, I guess I've never posted potato salad.  It is not my favorite summer side dish, ranking above only macaroni salad.  You are never going to see macaroni salad on this blog.

I'm listing the relish in this recipe, but I didn't use any.  That's the part of potato salad I don't like.  I like dill pickles, but not sweet.  For me, the vinegar and paprika fill that need, as well as slightly more celery than the average recipe for the missing crunch.  All the other traditional ingredients made it in.  I'm also not a big mayo person, and kept it down to just enough to hold everything together.

*1-1/2 lb Yukon potatoes
1/3 C mayonnaise, or to taste
2 Tb sweet pickle relish
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp paprika
1 hard-boiled egg
*1 rib celery, diced
*2 Tb finely diced sweet onion
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  Peel potatoes if desired, but it really isn't necessary.  Dice into 1/2" cubes and place in a medium saucepan with water to cover and just a touch of kosher salt.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until easily pierced with a fork but not falling apart, about 18 minutes.
2.  While that's simmering, make the dressing.  Stir together mayo, relish, mustard, vinegar, celery seed, and paprika.  Finely chop egg and add to dressing with celery and onion.  Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
3.  When potatoes are ready, drain.  While still warm, stir in dressing to coat thoroughly.  Once mixed, decide if you want it creamier.  Only add one tablespoon of mayo at a time.  It goes farther than you think.

4.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving, and preferably a day.  Serve cold, garnished with herb of choice.

Serves about 6

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.