Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Chocolate Chip Macaroons

I wasn't going to make snacks, but I was at home the last three days of Passover and there was a pound of almond flour in the freezer that I paid $11 for during the initial shopping frenzy.  I also had a carton of egg whites that had been open longer than the 10 days they recommend.  Not much of a leap to turn them into macaroons.

When I went to look up the Bible's recipe, I realized it started with whole almonds.  No problem, I can find a new recipe online.  Um, no I can't.  Not really anything close to what I wanted, since I was skipping coconut.  There was a vegan one that looked good, but it used coconut oil and of course no egg white.

So here's my best stab at an almond flour chocolate chip macaroon.  By day 5, you're not really that picky anyway.  Seriously though, they're crisp on the outside and chewy inside.  They also aren't overly sweet, which is why I skipped the sweetened coconut flakes.

*1 C almond flour
1/4 C granulated sugar
*1 egg white
1/4 C mini chocolate chips (KLP if during Passover)

1.  Preheat oven to 325º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat.

2.  In a bowl, stir together almond flour and sugar until evenly combined.  If the almond flour is clumpy, sift the mixture.  Stir in egg white and allow mixture to sit a few minutes to hydrate.  Stir in chips.
3.  Form mixture into 1" balls and place on baking sheet.  Wet hands help.  You can tell when the dough started to stick.  Bake 18 minutes, until just starting to get golden.  The bottoms will be darker.
4.  Cool on a wire rack and serve.  Store in a sealed box at room temperature up to 4 days.

Makes 1 dozen

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.