Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Making Extracts

After mentioning it in the Bastani post, I thought I'd go into greater detail about my new pet project.

The concept of an extract is simple.  Submerge the flavor agent in an alcohol base until the flavor has been extracted.  The reason you can't use them during Passover is because you don't know what kind of alcohol was used, and it's usually a cheap grain-based one.  The most neutral-tasting ones that are KLP are potato-based vodka and white tequila.  I opted for the former.

I don't drink vodka, but here I was with a whole bottle of it to make half a cup of KLP vanilla extract.  So I bought a few more cute bottles at Michaels and started to get creative.
The citrus tree is blooming, and it smells fantastic.  I collected a bunch of petals after the bees had their way with them and set them aside for a couple of days to dry.  I already have dried culinary lavender buds, and picked up the vanilla bean when I bought the vodka.  (Google it if you need a list of KLP brands of vodka.  It's too extensive to list here, but basically domestic brands that are grain-free and unflavored.)

That left me with one extract bottle.  I don't think I've seen cinnamon extract sold in stores, but I thought I'd give it a try.  It's for when I want a subtle hint in a baked good, not a giant whallop over the head. A tiny hint of cinnamon enhances chocolate, as does coffee, and chocolate often has vanilla already in it.
All you need to do is place the flavor agent in a sterilized bottle (split the vanilla bean), fill it with vodka, and seal it tightly.  Place in a cool location away from direct light and shake every few days for two weeks to a month.  After the first two weeks, open the cap and smell the product as a strength test.  Check it every week after that until you like the result.  The vanilla will not get as dark as what you're used to because commercial vanilla extract is usually made with brandy or another darker alcohol base.  When it's ready, strain out the flavoring agent and cap the bottle until needed.  Always store the bottles away from light.  It's an alcohol thing, and why you usually find extracts in tinted bottles.

I probably should have published this earlier, since Passover is in two weeks, but I was waiting for the bottles to reach full strength.  I think I'm going to let them go another week before straining out the flavor agents, but I like really strong extracts.  You can start to use them after only two weeks; they just won't be as strong as the full month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.