Thursday, March 19, 2020

Beetloaf

Last year, there was a Superbowl commercial that included a vegan holiday dinner as a circle of Hell.  Specifically mentioned was Beetloaf.  Out of curiosity, I googled recipes.  They were all plant-based meatloaf substitutes, like Impossible meats.

My personal theory on vegetarian and vegan food is that it should taste good on its own for what it is, not as a stand-in for meat.  My bean-based burgers never try to taste exactly like meat.  They taste like plant-based patties that I happen to enjoy.  The black bean ones do taste like overdone beef burgers, but that was an accident, not the goal.

What I envisioned when I heard of beetloaf was a beet-based terrine, almost like a gelatin mold.  Something you have cold, in slices, alongside a pretty salad.  It's supposed to be an elegant spa-type item, not veggies and quinoa baked into something resembling meatloaf.

As long as I was reinventing the concept, I decided to go all the way and make this KLP as an extra challenge.  It rapidly turned into a three-ingredient (plus spices) recipe.  I love being able to use tapioca as a thickener in KLP dishes.  It even came out as the clear, jellied mass I envisioned.  Just a little harder to slice.

1 bunch beets
1 medium parsnip
1/2 C water
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp cardamom
6 Tb tapioca flour

1.  Put on something red.  Accept that your kitchen is going to look like a crime scene for a while.  Line a mini loaf pan or other 2-cup mold with plastic wrap.  Afterwards, I thought these would look cute as inverted muffins, but I don't have a silicone muffin pan, which would be required to turn these out without sticking.
2.  Peel beets and parsnip.  Run through the food processor with the grating disc.  Or, if you're a real glutton for punishment, do it on a box grater.  Don't worry, it gets easy after this.

3.  In a medium saucepan, bring shredded veggies, water, and seasonings to a low boil over medium heat.  Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
4.  Stir in tapioca flour.  Once most of the water has been absorbed, remove from heat.  Continue stirring until very stiff and gooey.  Allow to cool slightly, so it doesn't melt the plastic wrap.
5.  Fill loaf pan and press down to distribute, using the plastic wrap and not your fingers.  You're welcome.  Chill thoroughly, at least 2 hours.  Shortly before serving, unwrap and turn out onto a serving platter, or a cutting board if you're doing slices.  Served chilled, either as an appetizer or on a salad.  I used an orange vinaigrette on mine.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.