Monday, November 11, 2019

Chicken Curry

After a few weeks of Pantry Project, I'm ready to get back to cookbook recipes using ingredients I don't necessarily have on hand.  Actually, I had to buy everything for this one.  I do have a chicken carcass in the freezer to make stock, but didn't have half a day to do it.

I've only had curry once, and didn't really like it.  For this, I convinced myself that I do like Indian and South Asian food when I make it myself and bought the smallest container of curry powder, which was also the only one listing red pepper as the last ingredient.  Turns out I had online coupons for it that I'd forgotten I'd clipped, so it was not much of a dent in the budget.

And how did I like my curry?  It's pretty good.  I went far easier on the spice than most would, so the coconut flavor came through very well.  A normal amount of curry powder for something like this would be about a tablespoon.  I didn't measure, but I'm guessing I used around half a teaspoon.  Maybe a full teaspoon at the very most.  It barely made a dent in the container.

One chicken, cut up, or 8 pieces
1 Tb oil
curry powder to taste
1 can coconut milk
1 can low-sodium chicken stock
1" fresh ginger, grated

1.  In a large, deep skillet with a lid, heat oil over medium heat.  Add curry powder and allow to activate in the oil, 2 minutes.  Add chicken pieces and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
Not your imagination.  I only made 5 pieces.
2.  Add coconut milk, stock, and ginger.  Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cover.  Cook 15 minutes, turn pieces, and cook until 165º in the thickest piece.  Serve over rice, noodles, or vegetables, with generous amounts of sauce.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.