Saturday, November 23, 2019

Baja California Chicken

Until the most recent four or five administrations, U.S. First Ladies put forth the image of housewife. They were not professionals, but mothers and homemakers.  Their recipes were widely distributed, even though most were from affluent families who had cooks and housekeepers and the most complicated thing they ever made was toast.  Except Mamie Eisenhower may have actually made the Pumpkin Chiffon Pie that I do.  Or at least one of her near relatives.

This recipe is credited to Nancy Reagan.  While simple enough that she may have cooked it herself, it was probably developed by a chef when Ronald Reagan was governor.

I'm not thrilled with the name.  This does not use the flavors of Baja California.  A better name would be Napa Chicken, if someone insisted on giving it a California-based title.  If I had found this on a regular blog or recipe site, I would have changed the name.  Being credited to a specific person, I'm posting it as written.

Based on the age of the recipe, I'm assuming the chicken breasts had skin on them.  The end result would have been more appetizing.  All I could find in boneless was also skinless.  I feel less bad about using so much oil.  I'm not sure what is meant in the original by "seasoning salt".  Maybe it was a common combination sold in markets at the time.  I'm just using regular salt.

4 boned chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tb olive oil
2 Tb tarragon vinegar
*1/3 C dry sherry

1.  Preheat oven to 350º.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
Yes, I'm aware there are 5 chicken breasts in the pan.
2.  Crush garlic into oil and vinegar in an oven-proof skillet, or a regular skillet and have a baking dish ready on the side.  Sauté chicken pieces until golden brown, turning frequently.
3.  If using a separate dish, transfer chicken once seared.  Pour sherry over the pieces and place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until a food thermometer registers 160º.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.